Sunday, August 4, 2013

Going global

After sleeping in on Saturday morning, catching up on some much needed sleep, I lounged around in my jammies for a while. It's been a busy summer so far, so I didn't feel bad about a little laziness. I didn't have any errands to run, so I considered just lounging around the rest of the day. But then it occurred to me that I should find a number three NEW to do. Having more laziness than inspiration, I turned to the expert: Dr. Google. Doc Google always knows best, and in this case informed me that the Midtown Global Market is one of the best things to do in the Twin Cities. (A few of the other items suggested, I've bookmarked to do with R.)

So off to number three, aka the Midtown Global Market, I went. It's a part of town I don't typically drive to. I was a bit apprehensive about that, but am so thankful for gps on my phone!


What a g-diddley-gorgeous day!




So g-diddley-gorgeous, in fact, that after shopping at the global market, I'd go home and hang out on our patio with a book and a little something I picked up at the market... more on that little something later.

(I'm such a sucker for cool statues!!)


Anyhow, since it was 3 pm and, to my sorrow, I'd not eaten a thing yet, I had the pleasure of remedying that situation with Safari Express' Chicken Suqqar. I couldn't resist getting a sambusa, as well. It's much like a samosa, both of which I find irresistible. Pure deliciousness!


Though the word suqqar reminded me of my favorite horsey from camp (Sukaar!), I tried to put that out of my mind...  because this was one of the world's most delicious concoctions!!!  Also one of the spiciest! Mind you, I truly like a pretty fair amount of spicy heat, but this had my nose running in a matter a fact sort of way, all while being so incredibly flavorful!!

Yet this was not a hot for the sake of hot sort of dish. While it is probably too spicy hot for most of my midwestern friends, it was wonderful. They give free samples, so you can judge for yourselves. The mango chicken curry may be a better choice for many - it also has some heat, but much less, and also has some nice sweet. So if you go to Safari Express, which I do recommend, and if you consider ketchup a spice, beware. They told me the chicken curry is quite mild, so that might be a good selection - but the free samples are a wonderful thing.

R is very interested in going here with me because I told him they also serve camel. I can't wait to go back with him!

Food, was not, however, the main reason for my going there - though my only real reason was to check out something new. I'm not a big shopper, really, but the global market is my kind of shopping... just wandering around and checking out interesting things, with no particular agenda.

It was rather pleasant. I found a few treasures, which were reasonable enough for me to purchase on a whim. On a practical note, I picked up a little produce and some raw honey for my honey.

Then I stumbled on a woman and her son, who were set up at a table full of art, all of which was made by her son and daughter. 

I was very much pulled in by this piece, which I obviously then purchased. I love supporting small, independent business - and a mom and teenager is about as small and independent as it gets. I absolutely loved that she and her kids were set set up at the global market. Her daughter was actually set up at the Uptown Art Fair, which was happening this same weekend. 

Anyhow, I think this piece fits in very well in our home. I had to move the main wedding photo of R and me, but it's good to shake things up sometimes. Besides, it didn't move far. I like the new print, called "Open Hearts" here in between our smaller wedding photos.


As for my other treats - they kinda speak for themselves...
This is my new favorite brand of chocolate, at the moment. The almonds and sea salt in dark chocolate is simply out of this world good!! However, in the spirit of new, I figured I should try the ginger one this time...

When I got home, I enjoyed this out on our patio with my new book. (New books are pretty commonplace for me, so they don't count!!)

The dark chocolate and ginger was really interestingly good - definitely a different combination to my palate - but in all honesty, it might not have been good to try this when my whole system was still trying to process the intense and slow-burning heat of that Chicken Suqqar. The ginger seemed to heat me up even further. Despite the coolness of the evening, I had to sleep with the AC on. I liked it, but I think for chocolate, I'll tend to stick with my almonds and sea salt. They also have a mint one I would like to try, but mint and chocolate is not at all new to me. As a bonus, each bar has a love sonnet in it, in case that suits your fancy. 


And that's about it for number three. The global market was a fun and new experience for me- one that I will definitely return to with R - I think he'll like it there, especially the camel.

There are several other eateries there to try out and many more treasures to explore. Of course, I'm trying to be careful to not confuse my attempt to experience newness with buying new things. Still, I really have been enjoying our new print, which only cost me $20 and hopefully helped and encouraged a young person.

Chocolate is a life necessity, so that cost is irrelevant.

.


2 comments:

  1. Heather, I knew there was something I liked about you and now I know that it is: Chocolove's Almond & Sea Salt in Dark Chocolate! You DO have good taste girlfriend. Keep up the adventure!!

    Brenda Allingham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda!! :-) Indeed - I like it farrrrrrr too much!!! :-) Thanks so much!!

      Delete