Monday, August 12, 2013

Road trip!!

The fourth items of newness at 42 happened this past weekend, when I went to Sioux Falls, SD to spend some time with sweet, industrious R.  He'd been there working a full week already, at a fair. This after very recently being gone for 10 days to Minot... (Ugh!)  He wondered if I might like to come down on the weekend to hang out with him. I really, really love that he wanted me there!! It's only a four or so hour drive, so I took Friday off and headed west, young man!

Since we'd be out that way, I figured I should find something new to do. Normally when we're in some city to work a show, we work, then we eat somewhere we spot near the hotel, then we head back to the hotel - that's about it. Of course, working is the primary concern while on his business trips, and it doesn't always leave a lot of time or flexibility - but hey, why not try to find a little new in between the cracks, when possible?  So I did a little research and asking around. After all, every city has new and fantastic aspects to it! (Well, probably...) So, let me tell you - we ended up with a big 2 for 2 in Sioux Falls.

First, there's Falls Park. An apt, though understated, name for such a breathtakingly beautiful place!


While R worked at the show, he thought I should go scope it out first - just to make sure it would really be open and we could get there easily enough. This way I could also get some photos during daylight hours, and at my leisure. (Though I'm noticing I seem to have a smudge on my lens... grr!)


They have a nice observation tower there, from where I took this photo above - but this isn't even all of it. To the left of me was a big pond and more rocks, where several people were fishing.  I knew R would love it!!

I came down from the observation tower and bopped all around the area, getting some beauty and exercise in - and a little reading.


Not too bad for a "selfie" - but then I was taking selfies long before they were called selfies.  I don't think we had a name for them, back then. That was also long before we could see how they turned out, before seeing how they turned out - if you see what I mean...


We wanted to go together that evening, but it rained quite a bit so we went the next morning instead. As such, we didn't have much time because R needed to get to work, but we got to bop around together for awhile. R absolutely LOVED it there!! He so wished he'd have known about it that whole week, as he'd have gone down before work to eat breakfast (usually a can of beans that he opened with his knife ☺), and maybe throw his lines in.


He gathered quite a little audience, as he galloped across the rocks: my little mountain goat. It was really funny to listen to people commenting about him and his scampering abilities.

Yep, Falls Park = four thumbs up!

Part two of Sioux Falls new was going to Mama's Ladas. A colleague recommended it highly - and I'm so glad she did.

All they serve is a handful of enchiladas (chicken, beef, seafood, vegetarian), chicken nachos, chips, salsa, and guacamole - and some delicious sangria. That's it. When you do all of those things so perfectly, who needs to offer more? (They don't actually serve them out of their hands, but after trying these, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't mind it if they did!)

These are the spinach and seafood enchiladas, since you probably can't tell under all that cheese. Delicious!!
In addition, the place is just as cozy and charming as all get-out! It's about the size of a shoe-box, but somehow, they just got it perfectly perfect. 

Just like I did, when I married R!!


This photo was only half posed... it was supposed to be a photo of us toasting, but R surprised me with a little smooch.

Mama's Ladas also = four thumbs up. (Though for the record, R isn't as enthusiastic at pulling him into my thumb rating system. He told me they're my thumbs, so rate as I see fit. Then I told him I only have two - and the other two are his, so he did agree to it, "Sure, two thumbs up is fine, I guess... Good food." Works for me! )

So if you ever find yourself in Sioux Falls, please do check both of these places out. The weekend, though always active, left me feeling very energized! Maybe there's something to this newness.

And if you're really, really, REALLY lucky, you just might stumble onto this quality entertainment.


Long live 80's hair band wannabes! Even when seeking new, there's always time for something classic, right?

2 comments:

  1. Is that Sean Astin on bass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! I think it might be, now that you mention it! I didn't look much past the pink spandex and hair...

      Delete