Friday, August 30, 2013

Delinquency at 42

I'm hesitant to write about NEW #7. I mean, what if you think less of me? What if you think I'm irresponsible? After all, what kind of a woman plays hooky from her job - and then proudly counts it as number seven of her year of new? That sounds like the worst kind of woman, right?  You should immediately stop reading anything I write, lest you become as delinquent a woman as I!!

Beware, all ye who read on!! (And don't say I didn't warn you.)

I, who called in to work only one time in eleven years (for a very legitimate reason), played hooky on Monday. I didn't want to go to work, which is not new (especially on a Monday), and so I didn't. I... just didn't go. I called and said I couldn't make it in. That was it. I had no valid excuse, other than the need for a mental health day.

Well... that and the fact that my friend had established playing hooky as a goal for me to meet this year. She felt I needed to embrace the necessity of mental health days - and the decadence of an unplanned absence. If I achieved the goal, she would treat me to a meal. (Where to go, where to go??? Mmm!!)

Since it's already the end of August, I was starting to worry that I wouldn't meet my very important goal. It was easy for me to keep putting it off. I kept making excuses for why it was better for me to go to work, but really, it's just hard for me to not show up if I'm expected to show up - and I mean really, really hard. I have, what some might call, an overactive sense of responsibility. It may not really be that noble... it may just be that I never want to let people down, or give the appearance of irresponsibility because then people might think less of me. Hmm. Is there a pill for that?

As mentioned in one of my recent posts, my long-time boss, who I very much respect and like, is out on leave for very unfortunate medical reasons. Well, sadly, though still difficult to do it, this made it a bit easier for me to call in... it would be harder to call in to her because - well, I don't know. I can't lie to her, and I couldn't tell the truth, so it's easier to just keep showing up. Anyhow, Monday morning, I called in to our big boss. I didn't lie, but I didn't feel the necessity to elaborate either. Elaboration isn't actually required - one does not need to be ill under our compensated time off policy... but it is generally polite.

Well, after the deed was done, I went back to the sweet slumber of the innocent that I was no longer.

Then I got up and we pondered what to do with my unexpected day off. R suggested Stillwater - we love to walk around there, along the river, popping into the shops (only I like that part). Well, when R mentioned Stillwater, I remembered that my dear friend, who had set the goal for me, has been wanting to go to this restaurant/bar in Stillwater. She'd seen a segment about them on the news because they reportedly had the best mojito, which is her favorite. Something about taking the day off because of her (I really would have never done it without her support and encouragement about the importance of mental health days) and then going to the very place she really wants to go made me giggle with delight!! (Don't worry, I'll go back with her!)

So I giggled all the way to Stillwater and on to Smalley's Caribbean Barbecue and Pirate's Bar.  Hey - it's Caribbean!! That was quite a bonus!

Appetizer of conch (R's favorite!) and sweet corn fritters - yum!!

R's meal was jerk chicken with pinto beans, sweet potatoes, and corn cake. 

I had a jerk chicken sandwich...  love the pirate imprint! Great touch!

Well, it was all delicious - if you find yourself in Stillwater, do go there. It's fun and yummy and definitely a bit different.

Even though I typically stick to wine when I enjoy adult beverages, in honor of my friend's encouragement and support of my mental health, I ordered a mojito. While I can't really compare it, it was seriously delicious - and went perfectly with the jerk spices of our meals. You can't always believe everything you see on TV, but apparently when it comes to the lovely minty mojito, TV is right-on!

Mojito cheers, to my friend!!
Unfortunately, the superstitious part of me, that I prefer to pretend doesn't exist, fears that my back having gone seriously out again, that same day, is poetic justice for me so naughtily playing hooky. It doesn't work that way, right....  right? Of course, the next day when I went back to work - hobbling around like Quasimodo - no one questioned at all why I'd called in.

My back prevented us from walking along the river, but it was still a very fun number seven: hooky and another new eatery: four thumbs up!!

Well, in case you've completely lost respect for me, perhaps you'll earn it back when I write my next post. Number eight will be about something very excitingly new... a shiny new trophy!  Yes, then you'll respect me again.

HJ

4 comments:

  1. SERIOUSLY HJ! How in the world did you wait this long?? Do NOT do that again! Gorgeous pics of a beautiful meal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee!!! No kidding!! I wanted to do it same day, but this back has me pretty slowed down on all counts... too slowed down to even sit and write.

      Delete
  2. How are you going to keep this from "the Man"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nos!! Does The Man use the world wide interwebs??? I'm sunk, for sure if he does!!!

      Delete