Saturday, August 17, 2013

Strange, but true: number five

This has been a rough, rough week. It included some very difficult news about someone important to me, some challenging interpersonal interactions, and the first bocce loss of our season. All of these were new, but not the nice kind of new.

In an also not nice, but more humorous (darkly so), kind of new, I fell out of a booth this week. Yep, just toppled right out... no, there was no alcohol involved, thank you very much. Just... klutziness meets stressed out, I guess. I had just stopped off for a little super fast lunch, after visiting the aforementioned individual in the hospital. They gave me the wrong sandwich, so I was sliding back out of my booth to correct it, and instead... I just... toppled over onto the floor....on my side, in essentially a fetal position... but still holding most of the sandwich, the top of which plopped onto the floor next to my face.

Yep. 

I only wish I had a photo of it, but I'd have had to get up off the floor, grab my camera out of my purse, then lay back on the floor to take it of myself. By then, it wouldn't have been as authentic. 

So I laid there a second in shock, then looked around - one guy was looking at me, but didn't say a word. I just looked back at him (from the ground) and said, "Well, that's never happened before." He just went back to eating and I scrambled up as fast as I could.

Isn't that strange? There were many customers and workers there, yet not a single person checked on me or offered to help. What kind of people ignore someone who topples onto the floor right in the middle of a restaurant? I've decided that, as ridiculous as I am, I'd much rather be someone who topples out of a booth onto the floor, than someone who ignores someone who topples out of a booth onto the floor. 

My friend thinks I should count that as one of my new things of 42. Hmm. I'm not sure about that, but then again...  it was pretty notable. It also really made me realize that I really do want to be someone who notices others needs. I think I already am that way - at least most of the time - but it sort of reinforced that too many are not - and to not let my own problems jade me from others' needs. 

So there you go... number 5 was toppling out of a booth in the middle of a busy restaurant.

On the bright side, the week also included a very lovely Finnish dinner with friends and a relaxing acupuncture session. Also, today we are leaving for a little vacation with the family in north eastern Wisconsin. We go there every summer, but hopefully we'll find some new adventures there this time.

I'm also very excited to bring our new Utila photo book down to show my family. It's been so fun showing it off the last couple weeks. Even after poring over my photos for so long before it was complete, seeing our favorite special memories and sights displayed in that huge beautiful book is just mesmerizing!  I find myself running my hand along the pages, as if doing so would be to touch the sea again. 

Speaking of the Utila photos, Shutterfly (who I used to make my photo book) sent me an email deal for 12 free thank you cards today, which I just couldn't resist. (The code is 12Free.)  Seriously, after this tough week, it felt like such a bonus!! I chose R's very favorite photo from Utila - Big Bite - and kept them blank inside. He's going to love these!  He may be a man of relatively few words, but he really likes having good cards on hand to send out to people once in a while. He's so sweet. I can't wait to get them back. 

3x5 Folded Card
View the entire collection of cards.


Well, I guess that's about it for today's strange, but true, rambling post. Oh, one other thing... here's my latest submission for Photo 52. It's not me toppled onto the floor, but hopefully it'll suffice. This was another one from Falls Park, in Sioux Falls.

Week 33 of Photo 52: Black and White
Until next time!
HJ

1 comment:

  1. "Well that's never happened before" must, by definition, count as new. That was quite an experience. Being one who does awkward extremely poorly, I could imagine that if someone thought you were ok they would try to spare embarrassment by pretending not to notice. Checking on the ok part would sure be nice, though! I wonder whether heaven is a world without awkwardness or a world where awkwardness is only always overcome by laughter and love. Loved the Finnish dinner and the book, OH! the BOOK!! :-)

    ReplyDelete