Monday, April 7, 2014

Finding me

New 27b: Taking another step in appreciation and awareness of my Twin Cities - and on a much lighter, more frivolous level - I decided to become a tourist in Minneapolis. My friend E wanted to go to the Secret Garden flower show downtown - I was game. We weren't meeting until 5:15 or so, but I got to hankering for more New, so I decided to head down a few hours early and tourist about.

It's sad that after 18 years here (wow - 18, really?) there's so much I've never done - like, um - almost everything. Well, yesterday, I still may not have done much, but I enjoyed the downtown city life - just because! (Usually I'm only downtown for an annual work meeting.) Exploring more is definitely in order!


Sadly, I'd forgotten to bring my beret...


 As I wandered around, I enjoyed many lovely city sights...



...a beautiful blue sky,

Week 18 of Photo 52: Photographer's Whim
and some unexpected tunes!


I even picked up one of R's favorite treats - fresh Chicago Mix popcorn from Candy Land!


Somehow, amazingly, I managed to resist buying myself a treat.

Week 16 of Photo 52: Through the Window
Then onto the Secret Garden... which was pretty amazing to behold!


Full of floral memories...   
Is it just me, or do certain flowers, like songs, always remind you of someone you love? 


Amaryllis remind me of my dad. 

My dad and his love for me 
- his generosity of spirit and his love for the art of growing - 
for beauty. 

And for his hopes and dreams of the future he didn't quite get, as he also left far too young.

I do love Amaryllis!


Daffodils! 
Daffodils remind me of R. 

It's funny, I see my dad's generous love and hope for life
 - and appreciation of nature -
in my husband. 

On the surface, you wouldn't think they were similar - and there are many differences, of course, 
but many of their basic values - and their optimism - are very similar. 

R and I wouldn't be together today if it weren't for Daffodils. 
That may be slightly dramatized, 
but only slightly... 

Realistically, it could have been roses or an apple or a stolen hotel pen, 
that became lovely perseverance, understanding, and tenderness in R's hands, 
but the fact is - it was Daffodils.
Lucky Daffodils! 

I sure do love Daffodils!


 Perhaps needless to say, the aroma in this Secret Garden was so gorgeous and lavish!


 Mmm, smells like spring! 

It was so lovely an aroma,


That I even installed a new app on my blog so you all can enjoy the scent with me.
Go ahead - try it! Just scratch and sniff the tulips above!

Mmm, nice, isn't it?


For some, finding themselves takes much time and effort.
For me, I just needed to go to the Secret Garden.
Who knew it was so easy to find oneself?


Ah yes, it was a fun day, filled with lots of good walking in the fresh air and sunshine - and lots of beauty. 
It should come as no surprise that once I got home, I slept like a rock...

Yup, I enjoyed New number 27 very much - parts a and b.

1 comment:

  1. Haha!! So glad you found yourself! For me it's my mom and irises. They bloom on her birthday, and she is waving hi to me from heaven. She loved them. :-)

    ReplyDelete