Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Breathtaking

After I took the photo of a candlelight in Central Park that I last wrote about, I kept wandering... and found my way over to the Cathedral Hill area. This breathtaking sight seems to have a strange gravitational pull for me ever since I came to the Twin Cities area. It was a hard transition up here, as transitions often are, and this became such a special symbol of hope for me. Every day I would drive past it as I headed down to work - my breath would always catch as that steeple came into sight... and I'd watch it - as if for dear life - as long as I safely could while driving down the highway.

Week 6 of Photo 52: Breathtaking
The days in which inclement weather kept it from my sight were so incredibly disappointing. I vividly remember the depth of disappointment I felt on one morning in particular, while reeling from the strong feeling that my move here wasn't going as intended - wondering if I'd made a huge mistake. Desperately, I wanted to see the steeple that morning - but it was nowhere in sight.

Suddenly, that still small voice within me reminded me that it was still there. Not being able to see something doesn't make it any less there. Even now, I'm reminded of this lesson each time I see the cathedral. It's a basic lesson, but a reminder that I frequently need in this crazy and fragile world. God is with me and always will be. Because of Him, those who've had to leave this temporary home are still with me too - and we will all be together again one day.

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1)

Isn't it amazing the abundant reminders of grace that we find when we just stop - to look and to listen. 

And hey, if we can photograph those reminders - all the better!  I was thrilled last week to finally be there at such a perfect moment of lighting - dusky enough to have the lights on and bring that glow about, but light enough to still photograph well - this lighting is gorgeous! To be honest, I'm quite pleased with how this came out - and it wasn't even planned... it was just a lovely finish to a day of wandering.  Breathtaking! 

1 comment:

  1. It is the warmest I have ever seen that building look. I LOVE that!! :-)

    ReplyDelete