Monday, January 27, 2014

Start spreading the news...

The long awaited writing of number 21 is here. I guess it's only been a few weeks, but it's been a long few weeks. As you know from my last couple posts, my delay in writing about number 21 in no way diminishes its importance to me...  Frankly, I adore number 21!

Twenty-one, thy name art... friend! 

My work brought me to New York a few weeks ago - and that just so happens to be where my dear friend P. lives so, of course, I desperately wanted to take this opportunity to meet her for the first time. We've been friends for a few years, yet had never met. 

I was so excited for the opportunity, yet nervous too. She's walked alongside me in some of my darkest hours, these last few years - generously giving wisdom, humor, and love - yet would she like me in person? Would my strange country bumpkin ways put her off? Would my complete disregard for proper gift wrapping techniques cause her to throw them back in my face and run away? Hmm. It's one thing to connect in writing - a whole other to sit across from one another... and spend hours and hours together.  

Well, this is my friend, P., and number 21 was getting the pleasure of meeting her in person.


This photo was from the first time we sat down across from each other to enjoy a glass or two of vino. It's not a good photo in the technical sense, but it makes me so very happy - therefore I declare it the best of photos! We sat here for many hours in this charming little Italian restaurant - just talking and laughing and talking and laughing: perfection! 

What a strange, new world is this, that I can have made such a dear, dear friend without having met her in person. As you can see from the following photo, I didn't ever want to let her go. 

  
From the moment I stepped out of the hotel elevator carrying a bottle of Diet Pepsi, and saw her there carrying her own bottle of Diet Pepsi, and a gigantic bag of perfectly chosen gifts, I was sure it would all be good. Hard as it is to believe, she's even more amazing, hilarious, and gorgeous in person. Plus, it seems she loves cupcakes as much as I do - a match made in Heaven, to be sure. (We both have pretty fabulous taste in purses too, I might add.)


Good conversation, laughs, wine, open mic night at BB King's Broadway Underground, some cupcakes in Grand Central Station, and a little breaking and entering...  a full, wonderful, and only slightly felonious day! 

It was so very hard to have to walk away when her train came, but I thought throwing myself around her legs and refusing to let her go might be going a bit overboard for our first date. I'll wait till the second time we can meet up to really terrify her.  I'm old-fashioned like that. 





Week 3 of Photo 52: Landmark

New York, New York... it's never been this country bumpkin's kinda town - but it surely is now! 

The view from my work meeting. 
The work group that I was sent there to meet with is planning on another meeting in October... so that's something I'm now really looking forward to, despite my intense fear of flying and despite how I previously dreaded having to go to that big city that never sleeps.

On that note, it's worth mentioning that this was also the first round trip flight I took that was both R and Xanax free, in several years now. I've flown without R for work a few times in the last couple years - but always with Xanax. And I flew one of the flights to the Bahamas without it, but R was with me. I tried one of the other flights to the Bahamas too, but ended up taking one. So this was the first that I went without, completely. I had it with me, but felt like I was doing okay, so refrained from taking it. I no longer have shame in taking it when needed, but I'm pleased I was able to gauge myself and do without this time.

Thank you, P., for a most splendid number 21!!  Until we meet again!  ♥

4 comments:

  1. I so love this. For many reasons. But two, with no regard to importance are: 1. The Statue of Liberty out the window of your meeting? Swoon!! 2. Meeting an electronic friend. I've met a couple, and there are a few that I still hope to meet someday--but people who say they are less real or significant than your "in real life" people just don't know. You amaze me with your ability to collect your courage for your own good. I'm so glad you get rewarded for it so much more often than not. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy!! :-) And you know, about e-friends.... I admit I thought that not that many years ago, myself - that e-friends couldn't be "real." I'd have never thunk I'd make some really precious ones - but I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity to be proven wrong. Now I know that real life is real life - including electronic. Just a different venue.

      Delete
  2. Heather, this made me so happy. To finally meet you in person was nothing short of wonderful. In so many ways, you've been a better friend to me than many (or even most) of my in-person friends! I was certain, 100% certain, that I would love you just as much in person as I have grown to love you in our virtual world. I cherish the memory of that day, as I cherish our friendship. I look forward to our next time!!! <3 Live Pantless and Prosper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P, my sweet... it's better to have been pantless and lost than to have ever been panted at all. :-) Even if you wore pants, I'd still adore you!!! But be warned - next time, I probably really will throw myself around your legs and not let you go. Maybe bring mace or something. <3

      Delete