Monday, January 13, 2014

Farewell, for now

I was going to write a blog post this weekend, but I suddenly fell childlessly sad. It happens. It happens a lot, actually, but usually I can handle it okay. Sort of. Anyhow, I guess I still handled it okay this weekend, too - but because it was Saturday, I didn't have to muster up the energy to smile and go about my business... I could lay low and sometimes that's the best thing to do because usually I can't.

The plan had been to write about new number 21 - the halfway mark. I even started it, but just lost the energy. Number 21 was awesome though! It involves a very special visit with a very dear friend, who I met in person for the first time. So, since I lazed out over the weekend, I thought I'd write tonight - Monday night. After all, I woke up feeling much better after a good sleep and then a lovely Sunday visit with another dear friend - one who I first met in person some 25 years ago - and her really sweet and hilarious daughter. Incidentally, both of these friends are exactly the kind of mom I so wish I could be - they're truly amazing. Strangely, knowing them - and how wonderful they are - actually makes me so happy. Anyhow, I'd have written last night, but R got home and I wanted to spend it with him.

Then this morning, I found out the worst kind of news. A dear, dear friend - from way back when, from camp! - passed away last night. I just went to his wedding two months ago. He's my age - a tad younger. He's been through so much, yet he's found peace and happiness in his life. His bride brought him so much new happiness. There were other reconciliations happening. The world was before him. And just like that - he's gone. No warning - nothing. Life is so fragile.. so incredibly fragile.

There's a lot of shock. I am in shock. His wife, his kids, his sister, who is also my dear, dear friend... pray for them, please. Pray like the wind!! Like all of us, he was "never picture perfect - just a plain man and his wife... who somehow knew the value of hard work, good love, and real life..." (Rich Mullins) 

Just when you think your heart can't break any more.

My favorite photo of my friend and me. 
Oh, my friend.

I remember my pastor, Pastor Larry, saying this to me at my dad's funeral:
"Brothers and sisters, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you do not grieve like the rest of mankind, who have no hope. For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him." (1 Thessalonians 4: 13-14)  

But we still do grieve.


  
For we who are still in the flesh, oh how it breaks our hearts to say goodbye.  And I loved you more than you could have ever known, my Number One. So very much.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sad for you. A camp friend is much more family than friend. Mine are still so dear. That kind of closeness is pretty well impossible to replicate, and to try to explain it to someone who's never known it? Forget it. Praying for you as you navigate your way through this week.

    ReplyDelete