Monday, October 28, 2013

This camera was made for walkin'...

...and that's just what it did! It walked all over the Stone Arch Bridge, in fact!

Indeed, my fabulous Photo 52 group went on a photo walk last weekend, which brought me my number 15 new: walking over the Stone Arch Bridge.

From its official website: The Stone Arch Bridge is the only bridge of its kind over the Mississippi River. It is made of native granite and limestone, and measures 2100-feet long by 28-feet wide. The bridge consists of 23 arches, and spans the river below St. Anthony Falls in Minneapolis, MN.

Though I've enjoyed the St. Anthony Main area restaurants over the years, I've never photographed, or walked over, the famous Stone Arch Bridge - and now I have! This was actually something that was on my wish list to do. It's not that it would have been difficult to accomplish, but so often we never explore the places in our own back yard... so a photo walk with friends, old and new, was a perfect way to accomplish it.

For some reason, I did not do a good job of documenting the lunch or get a group shot, which I wish I'd have done. So, I guess I'll just jump right in.

Here's our fearless leader, Tracy. She's simply the best!!


Here are her cute feet...  Please believe that I'm not really a foot stalker - I just thought the little leaf that found its way onto her shoe was kinda cute. Ahh, fall!


Wait - did someone say fall? This doesn't look like October!


Here's Melissa, another dear friend, taking shelter under the tree.


Yet, through rain, snow, sleet and hail... the Photo 52 walk will prevail! (Brrrrrr!!)


Good thing one of us brought an umbrella! I, as usual, dressed completely inappropriately for the weather. That's not entirely true, I am normally dressed appropriately for summer. Anyhow, there's no photo of me in my batch, but trust me - I looked like a drowned rat, though a happy one!


Aww - V! She is so good at getting down low for really different - and wonderful - perspectives!  I like her perspectives on life, too.


Crunch!


There it is! A real beauty, right!?!


So, in the photo below, do you see that sign in the background, with the star on it? It reads, "Northstar Blankets" I asked my friend, Emily, "What do the Northstar Blankets play - that's a really strange team name?"  She was like,"Well... I think they make blankets." Go figure... Northstar Blankets makes blankets.

I wonder if I ate a lot of paint chips when I was a kid. I really like this photo a lot though, even if I'll feel a little like a dunce every time I look at it.


St. Anthony Main.... that's another weird name for a sports team. Hmm.

 
Once the rain cleared up, it was a quite lovely autumn day.


Beautiful colors everywhere!


Next time I have to be sure to get a shot of Tracy's face though...


Views from the bridge.


The change in the sky was rather dramatic!


A little musical interlude.


On the other side and underneath.


It really is a gorgeous old bridge!


Then afterward, freezing our trigger fingers off, Emily and I went for a little warm-up at the Aster.




Best chocolate lava cake - ever!


So that's that - number 15 and then some.

Photo 52 has been a fantastic, and enlightening, experience for me. I'm so thankful for it! And feeling rather sad that this is already week 43 now...  where does the time go?

1 comment:

  1. That really was so much fun. Photo 52 would have fizzled, I fear, were it not for your energy and persistence! Thank you so much for all your help pulling suggestions together for the walk!

    I know what you mean about week 43...I'm not eager to quit. I think a once a week challenge is just right, but we could think about how to change it up for a NEW reboot in '14. Let me know what you think! :-)

    ReplyDelete