Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Old and new

Yesterday was our 8th wedding anniversary. We didn't do anything new. In fact, we did some old things, and it was lovely.

After lunch at our little sushi place, we headed a bit north to visit the place we got married.


Here it is, the scene of the crime!  

We had a lovely time wandering around the grounds and reminiscing: just a couple of love birds


Then we headed a bit further north to look for some autumn colors. We had to go a little ways before we found any color other than brown, plus it was raining on and off. It seemed like we weren't going to have any luck, but then we stumbled on some. It went something like this:

R: Hmm, looks like just a dead end (starting to turn the car around).
Me: Oooh - a dead end - let's go down it!! 

After all, sometimes the dead end holds all the glory! Sometimes it doesn't... 


This time it did. 


We happened upon this lovely wooded area, which had spots of glorious color!


And which wound around and ended up at some bluffs overlooking a lake.


It was fun to just tromp around, crunching on leaves and breathing in the autumn scented air. 


These are things I've always loved about autumn, and why we chose an outdoor autumn wedding. 


Good thing my upper mid-western upbringing taught me how to dress properly for the occasion. I don't give up easily, I tell ya. 


Crunch!!


We even found a new friend or four, but they were all shy and didn't like their picture being taken. 


Here's R taking a long walk off a short pier. Hmm, I guess this is what eight years of marriage to me does to a man?  A lesser man would have done it in three. 


Actually, as we were walking down one of these pretty roads, me excitedly running ahead to take photos, R caught up and laughingly said, "Heathie, you are still just a little girl!" I, in all of my eloquence, said something to the effect of, "Huh?!?" He said, "Everything's still always new to you - I always love that about you!" 

What a funny and beautiful thing to say, particularly in light of this blog and in light of my feeling like nothing has been new, and fearing that nothing will ever be truly new again.


My darling husband, the one who has seen me at my absolute worst - and loves me even more than ever. What a mystery this is to me. Our love is old, and yet always new. The journey continues.


I am blessed and I am grateful!

2 comments:

  1. Spectacular photos!!! Happy anniversary to a couple in such sweet love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tribute to both of you. You are each other's treasure for sure. Remember Bilbo and Frodo's home's name in the Shire, Bag End? That is the literal translation for Cul De Sac, the French for "bottom of the bag", another fancy pants name for a dead end. Much more delightful to turn into a Bag End, and you proved it.

    ReplyDelete