Sunday, July 28, 2013

New: number one and two

Okay - here we go! I'm hesitant to write about my first new thing of 42, because the first new thing of 42 didn't really go well, but it was still a good thing to do. There's a big part of me that wants to skip to number two, or just pretend that number two is number one, just so I don't have to start with it or share about it. However, that would be insincere and I'm anything but insincere!

On the weekend just after my birthday, R took the weekend off... which is a really big deal for a business owner whose livelihood depends on the weekends. It was not for my birthday though, it so that we could do the first item of the challenge together, which was pretty important to us. So, without further ado, number one was that we went to an adoption information meeting - we were realistic, but still open and hopeful. (Hopeful that we might be wrong about not being eligible - best to meet in person, you know.)

Considering adoption and perusing information and passively emailing organizations, none of these were new - but going to a half day event in person to listen and ask questions, and getting the most solid and current information we could, this was new. It was new and it was big for us. It resulted in a decision - well actually, it resulted in a realization, not a decision. Unless we find out about a child through word of mouth (outside of an agency), adoption is not an option for us. Though the realization is difficult, it was really good to go there, and it is really good to finally have clarity about this. And that is all I have to say about number one.

However, I'll go right into the second item... which is much more frivolous. It occurred later that same day and it helped to ease some of the immediate feelings that came from the finality of that realization. Plus it was a continuation of my 42nd birthday celebration.

The second new adventure of 42 was to go to a restaurant I've wanted to go to for a long while. While I'd heard that the food was fantastic, in all honesty, a big part of my wanting to go there was that on the week of your birthday they give you a complimentary bottle of wine equal in value to your age. Since I typically only enjoy wine that is more equal in value to certain years in the first decade of my life, I really looked forward to trying something a little more seasoned, like me. In reality, knowing the inflated prices in restaurants, it was probably only equal to my teen years or so, but it was still very nice and it was still complimentary, so no complaints here!! I chose a rose, though I'm normally more of a cab girl, so that R would enjoy it too. He normally thinks my preferences are too dry, or, in his words, "Harrumph! Tastes like sour grapes!" On the other hand, I tend to think the wines he likes taste like grape jelly....  So this rose was perfect for the two of us. It was really quite nice and went very perfectly with our pasta dishes. It was dry, which I liked, but light and fruity, which R liked - definitely a winner!

All in all, it was a really, really wonderful evening together - a dose of delicious, and a double dose of romantic and sweet. We don't get a lot of Saturday evening dates, and this one was just wonderful!
Cheers - to 42 new things! 
Tried something new for our appetizer: polenta fries = oh so YUM!!

Tomato basil gnocchi, an old favorite, but this was the best I've ever had - little clouds of heavenly goodness!! 

Nothing like a little crispy apple goodness to share for dessert!

Despite all that beautiful and delicious food, this was still the loveliest sight of the night!!
My,oh so sweet and oh so handsome, R!!  (Week 31 of Photo 52: Photographer's choice)
So those were the first two new items.... I guess the first two were a bit bittersweet, but I do feel I'm off to a reasonably good start. The first was big and important and the second was lighthearted and delightful!  So, just forty more to go! I'm honestly not sure what's next...  Hmm. I'm open to suggestions.

6 comments:

  1. Well, if I were gonna learn to like wine, I probably would have by now, but if I were going to give it one last wholehearted shot, I would go with R. I'm so glad you went on to #2 the same day. Sorry for the bitter in your sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy!! And no worries, grape jelly certainly has its place in life!!! ;-)

      Delete
  2. #2 sounds good, but perhaps you'd be more satisfied if they gave you wine in OUNCES equivalent to your age?

    #1 is hard. I have an understanding of it from the other perspective, and I appreciate that you even made the attempt. Don't assume it can't happen. Keep your ears and eyes open.

    Otherwise, have either or both of you considered Big Brothers big Sisters? You could do an individual match, two individual matches, or a couples match and have a Little (or Littles) to see at least 2-4 times a month. I have been with my Little now for over 3 years. Many of them are foster kids, and some may even need permanent placement. That would mean leaving the program to do so, but it could happen too. Who knows? Otherwise you get to develop a great relationship with a kid that needs someone to care for them and mentor them. It's rewarding for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timmy, I love your idea for the ounces!!! Mmmm, 42 oz might be my favorite kind of wine of all!!

      As for the other, I have perused the idea for a couple years here and there - reached out to several smaller places, but always been turned away. We wanted to just go in and see in person though... and talk to them, at this 1/2 one. It's kind of THE place to work through here. But, they affirmed that we wouldn't be able to go through the agencies, unfortunately. Our ages (esp R) is a deal breaker. It would have been even for the last several years. That's the main issue, but there are a couple other issues/big barriers too, unfortunately.

      Anyhow... as for the Big idea, I've looked a bit into Kinship Kids up here. In addition to you having such a rewarding experience w/ Big program, another dear friend did that for ever and ever up here, but through Kinship Kids - and was a huge advocate for that org. Same kind of deal as Big, so we're going to check that out a bit more too. It's a bit tough w/ R's schedule though - weekends - and I'd like to do it as a couple, so we'll see. You've definitely inspired me on this!!

      Delete
  3. Maybe you could adopt if you were more famous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it's too late to get more famous? I thought bocce was my road to fame, but maybe I chose wrong.... tap dancing? Juke Box Hero concert tours? Hmm...

      Delete