Sunday, February 8, 2015

HEY TOOTS!

Okay, so I am to value my body for what I can do, rather than despising it for what I can't, huh?  Yes, I wish to be a better steward of the good and lovely gifts God has given me, and enjoy what I have and can do - even as I grieve my losses.

That's nice, but....

Yeah,Toots - what'll it be?  

What does this new philosophy mean - how do I make such a change and live it out?  Well, that's something I've been pondering a bit this last week or so. Finding an answer was thwarted a bit by the realization of something else that my body can't do lately: go two seconds without coughing violently and/or vomiting. Ahhh, the plague!  

Well, I'm on the mend, but still moving slowly. I have a really big week ahead at work, so hopefully I'll be feeling closer to well again tomorrow. 

Still, in the few blissful days between when I wrote my last post and when I contracted the plague, I did determine that as a good foundation to live out this healthier philosophy of good stewardship, it would be a good idea to start sleeping better. Sleep rarely comes easily for me - never has. 

So, sleep - yes, that is my beginning, and the beginning is a very good place to start. After all, when you read you begin with A- B- C (A- B-C!), when you sing you begin with do- re-mi (do-re-mi!)... So when you want to get going on a healthier path, you begin with z-z-z (z-z-z!) 

Toward this end, I started taking a melatonin before bed. I've taken melatonin before, but never consistently because I'm not very fond of having to take anything more than necessary, but sleep has long been a problem for me and I do think it's the foundation for a healthy life. It's hard to do much else, if you aren't getting your zzzzzzs. 

The other thing that is hard to do well without is breathing. Chronic allergy/sinus issues make that a bit tricky, especially at bed time when it all seems to get worse - on top of already having sleeping issues. 

Sooooo, the second step is to actually use the prescription nasal spray that my doctor prescribes me. Melatonin is cheap (like me!) and very gentle, but $30 a month for the nasal spray - ugh! It seems so ridiculous, but then again, what's the value of breathing right, right?  A dollar a day to breathe more normally isn't too unreasonable... but then again-again, it can't help reminding me of all the people who breathe normally for free, which can't help reminding me of all the people who actually get pregnant and carry their babies for free...  and that leads me down a naughty little rabbit trail, so I'll just start my dollar a day snorting habit and try to just enjoy the benefits.

These are my first commitments, and I will strive be consistent with them. It should be a good foundation. 

But first: plague be gone!!!!  

Thanks for the love and support, my friends!  

2 comments:

  1. Z-z-z is a great place to start! I'm so proud of you and your desire for change! I'm in my own process of change and it is hard to change those patterns that you come to depend on. One of my commitments is going to bed at a reasonable time. A sleepy Melissa is a grouchy Melissa - it has been proven with scientific experimentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto that! Yes to sleeping and breathing! A dollar a day, you are MORE than worth it!

    ReplyDelete