Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Without further ado, number 42...

My mom loves flowers - especially yellow roses, which were my dad's favorite. I've definitely sent mom flowers for her birthday or mother's day before, but I've never surprised her with flowers for my birthday. I've never done anything for her for my birthday before. Until this year, that is. She did have a little something to do with my birthday, after all, you know.  

So here is what I sent her.

Photo is from the Teleflora website
They will arrive this morning, my birthday, with a typically silly card attached, informing her that while having the pleasure of my awesomeness for 43 years should be more than sufficient thanks, that I thought she should get a little something extra this year.  

So that's it - that's my number 42: simple and sweet. I'd been racking my brain for a big and fabulous finale to the challenge; to really go out with a bang. Some ideas occurred to me - but then this just popped in and I just knew.

Somewhere in the depths of my aging pea brain, knowing how terribly much I want to be a mom, and how much I have and would give for it, and how much most moms do go through and give for their kids... and sort of murkily seeing this too as part of my juxtaposed life just made me know to do this. It's a jumble, but when you know, you know.

So....  New at 42 challenge: completed! 

Probably most people (my supportive friends and R aside) won't see my list as very exciting: no hot air balloons, sky diving, or swallowing of snakes, but it is special to me and I'm thankful for being able to learn and grow - and have an altered perspective -  through this challenge.

Thank you so much, my friends, for your love and encouragement, your humor and suggestions, and for sometimes actually joining me in the NEW!  There really were times I wanted to hang it all up, but you helped me to not. The NEW certainly won't end now that I'm 43; hopefully there will be plenty of NEW yet in my future, which I will appreciate so much more as a result of this year's focus. 

After all, His mercies are NEW every morning - great is His faithfulness! 

Much love,
HJ

Update 10:49 am: here is a photo of the actual flowers. My mom was kinda over the moon to receive these. She was thoroughly surprised and touched. She also said she almost didn't open the door, figuring the delivery person had the wrong house and would figure it out in a moment. She thinks I may have started a new tradition!  ☺


2 comments:

  1. That is super sweet. Happy Birthday!

    El

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love that you did this! Hope your birthday has been spectacular.

    ReplyDelete